Did you know that Collagen is one of the most abundant proteins in mammals and makes up 75% of our skin and 25% of total body protein?
WHAT IS COLLAGEN?
Collagen comes from the Greek word “Kolla” which means glue.
Collagen is the body’s most important building block and it makes up approximately 30% of the protein.
It can be described as a hard, insoluble and fibrous substance.
Collagen’s strong fibres work like glue to hold things together in the body. It ensures the cohesion, elasticity and regeneration of all our connective tissue including skin, cartilage and bones.
Did you know that there are at least 16 different types of collagens?
We lose collagen as we age and eventually, from the age of 25, we start losing up to 1% of collagen per year, making our skin lose and saggy.
TYPES OF COLLAGEN
FUNCTIONS OF COLLAGEN
- Maintains healthy joints
- Improves muscle mass, bone strength and density
- Reduces inflammation
- Speeds up recovery of connective tissue
- Activates energy production
- Balances appetite
- Promotes normal functioning of the cardiovascular and nervous systems
- Improves skin collagen density and structure
- Enhances hydration
- Helps to maintain skin firmness and supports the maintenance of a firmer skin
- Counteracts visible signs of ageing
- Enhancement of hair strength and appearance
- Anti-oxidant that protects against damage caused by free radicals
- Stimulates repair of damaged tissues
TOPICAL APPLICATION VS ORAL SUPPLEMENTATION
Collagen supplements get digested into amino acids and collagen peptides. In this way, the collagen can be absorbed by the small intestine, circulates into the bloodstream and is then essentially used by the body to improve its health.
Hydrolysed forms of collagen taken orally increases the collagen levels in the blood quickly.
When a collagen supplement is hydrolysed, the collagen has been broken down, making it easier for absorption. From there, the broken-down collagen peptides travel throughout the body. In the case of skin, they help support the body's natural collagen production.
Oral supplements may assist in supporting the body's natural collagen production by being absorbed through the bloodstream. Hydrolysed collagen is easiest to digest, as it is broken down into the smallest forms of peptides and amino acids.
Research shows that these collagen peptides can support skin elasticity and dermal collagen density and reduces skin wrinkling.
NIMUE INGREDIENTS THAT ASSIST IN COLLAGEN SYNTHESIS
Nimue contains certain ingredients that can assist with collagen production when applied topically in a formulation.
Ingredient: Colloidal Platinum and Acetyl Tetra-Peptide 17
- Remarkable increase of collagen and elastin
- Improves hydration
Function: Encourages the production of collagen and elastin, thus reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and increasing the skin's firmness and elasticity
Ingredient: Argan Stem Cells
- Reduces wrinkles
- Increases skin firmness and density
- Peptides are amino acids that are the building blocks of certain proteins needed by the skin, like collagen and elastin
Ingredient: Encapsulated Retinol
- Decreased skin irritation
- Increases skin hydration and elasticity
Nimue products: Nimue Purifier 50ml
Ingredient: Vitamin A Ester
- Activates collagen production
- Increased level of GAGs - improving dermal hydration
Ingredient: Vitamin C L-Ascorbic
Function: Stimulates collagen production and inhibits pigment production
Nimue products: Nimue Multi Rejuvenating Serum 30ml
Ingredient: Alpha Lipoic Acid
- Boosts collagen production
- Minimises the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Prevents glycation